Remembrance, the Faces and Places
Saturdays, November 3–December 8, 2018
Mt. Washington Campus: Norman F. Sprague, Jr. Auditorium
About the Exhibition
This pop-up exhibition from the Arroyo Arts Collective asks local artists to explore a deepened understanding of Halloween, Día de los Muertos, and all rituals, historically and worldwide, associated with how we grieve, how we continue to love, and how we go on in the face of loss.
Twenty artists have been invited to create altars in the niche spaces along both sides of the buildings’ famed portal tunnel, which originally housed dioramas illustrating various ways of Native American life. A second group of artists will display wall art upstairs in Sprague Hall.
Admission is free. The exhibition and related programs take place at the Autry's Historic Southwest Museum Mt. Washington Campus, located at 234 Museum Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90065.
Remembrance, The Faces and Places is presented by the Arroyo Arts Collective in partnership with Avenue 50 Studio and Rock Rose Gallery. Made possible in part through the generous support of the Los Angeles County Arts Commission, the Arroyo Seco Neighborhood Council, the Historic Highland Park Neighborhood Council, and the Autry.
Exhibition Related Events
- 10:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m. | Yarn Flower Workshop with Yarn Bombing Los Angeles (YBLA.)
- 2:00 p.m. | Opening Reception with traditional African ancestral chant, drum, and dance salute/libation by Nzingha Carmara and Rene Fisher-Mims. All artists in attendance.
- 10:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m. | Paper Flower Headdress Workshop with Margarita Medina.
- 2:00 p.m. | Poetry reading with Gloria E. Alvarez, Ron Baca, Zoe Blaq, and Linda Kaye, concluding with open microphone audience participation.
- 10:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m. | Air-dry Clay Mask Workshop with Fahrenheit Ceramics.
- 2:00 p.m. | Meet artists Ruth DeNicoloa, Betty Wan Hamada, and Dr. Patricia Jessup-Woodlin.
- 10:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m. | Miniature Nicho Workshop with Mi Vida Boutique.
- 2:00 p.m. | Meet artists Kristen Johannesen, Andy Ledesma, and Sandi “Mama” Romero.
- 10:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m. | Papel Picado Workshop with Margarita Medina.
- 2:00 p.m. | Meet artists Leslie K. Gray, Margarita Medina, and Suzette Vidol.
- 2:00 p.m. | Meet artist Michael Possert Jr.
- 4:00–6:00 p.m. | Closing Reception.