Autry Flavors Dinner Series: The Urban Chuck Wagon
Part of the series Flavors
Friday, February 23, 2018, 7:00 p.m.
The Autry in Griffith Park
- $55 Autry Members /$65 Nonmembers
- Space Is Limited / Reservations Recommended
About the Event
Whet your appetite as you enjoy cuisine inspired by the grand tradition of the chuck wagon! In fact, the first Los Angeles food trucks were inspired by the chuck wagons of the open range and appeared as horse-drawn wagons as early as the 1880s. Operated mostly by immigrants, these multicultural dining experiences introduced the city to many of our beloved dishes. Before this, the first chuck wagon was created in 1866 when a Texas cattleman bolted a cupboard onto the back of an army wagon. On the trail, these rolling kitchens fed the cowboys at the cattle company’s expense, about four cents per head. A good cook could transform cheap ingredients into something worth eating, and cowboy cooks gained their reputations based on their level of culinary skill.
Tickets include plates from multiple food stations, access to the galleries and garden, and presentations by chefs and food history experts.
The Urban Chuck Wagon: 100 Years of Food Truck Fare
Sample a century of food trucks. Discover the historic flavors of oyster cocktails, tamales, and other street food specialties, then experience a modern take on food carts from chefs of today.
Don't miss the April installment, From Trail to Table in the 21st Century on Friday, April 6!
The Urban Chuck Wagon Menu
- Oyster cocktails
- Honey roasted peanuts with togarashi
- Lamb’s tongue pastrami on rye with sauerkraut, Russian dressing and Swiss cheese
- XLNT tamales
- Hot smoked salmon (or trout) with mustard seed vinaigrette, potato, curly endive, and pickled red onion
- BBQ Korean short rib tostada with kimchi, herbs, and avocado salsa
- Banana and chocolate cream pie
- Crispy waffles with ice cream
Greg Hozinsky, Executive Chef at The Strand House
Presented in collaboration with the Pacific Food and Beverage Museum and the Museum of the American Cocktail.