Whole Class Lesson
During this Who was Mervyn M. Dymally? lesson, students will learn about public educator, politician, and California State University, Los Angeles alumnus Mervyn M. Dymally (1926-2012). Students will explore who Mervyn was, where he lived and worked, and how he helped others through some of the jobs that he had by completing mapping, matching, and reading activities. Students will also be invited to share the different jobs that help people in their own communities, along with the jobs that they want to do when they grow up, through drawing and writing.
Lesson: Who was Mervyn M. Dymally? - English
Lesson: Who was Mervyn M. Dymally? - Spanish
Student Response Sheet: Who was Mervyn M. Dymally? - English
Student Response Sheet: Who was Mervyn M. Dymally? - Spanish
Teaching Tips for Different Learning Environments
Whole Class In-Person Learning:
Activate - Activate students’ prior knowledge by asking them the names of jobs that help people.
Investigate - Have students investigate by completing mapping, matching, and reading activities.
- Read the INTRODUCTION with the whole class.
- Read PART 1 with the whole class. Ask the whole class to point out the locations of the bodies of water and states mentioned in PART 1 on the map. Then have the students complete A-G independently.
- Read PART 2 with the whole class. Ask the students to complete the matching activity independently or with a partner. Then have a whole class discussion about the students’ answers to the matching activity.
Relate - Have students relate by making connections to their own lives through drawing and writing.
- Read PART 3 with the whole class. Ask the students to complete A, B, and C independently.
- Read PART 5 with the whole class. Ask the students to complete A, B, and C independently.
Demonstrate - Have students demonstrate their learning by sharing PARTS 3 & 5 with others.
Whole Class Distance Learning:
Follow the Whole Class In-Person Learning instructions.
Educational Programs at the Autry are sponsored by:
PHYLLIS H. BARBATO • MOLLY AND NEAL H. BROCKMEYER • FRANK H. COUNTNER AND SUSAN L. COUNTNER • DWIGHT STUART YOUTH FUND • EDISON INTERNATIONAL • DAVID F. EISENBERG • GEORGINA-FREDRICK CHILDREN’S FOUNDATION • THE KENNETH T. AND EILEEN L. NORRIS FOUNDATION • MAX H. GLUCK FOUNDATION • CHRISTY AND STEVE MCAVOY • ANN C. RONUS AND ROBERT E. RONUS • THE STEINMETZ FOUNDATION • VIRGINIA F. STEVENSON • UNION BANK • U.S. BANK