During the Art Analysis lesson, students will analyze artwork from the Autry’s Collections Online by looking closely at the artwork before describing and sketching it. Students will also ask questions, read detailed information, and write what they learned about the artwork. Then students will share their sketch and what they learned about the artwork with others.
Lesson: PDF in full; PDF in Spanish - Coming Soon!
Student Response Sheet: Student Response Sheet (fillable PDF); Student Response Sheet (fillable PDF) in Spanish - Coming Soon!
Teaching Tips for Different Learning Environments
Whole Class In-Person Learning:
Activate - Activate students’ prior knowledge.
- Ask the whole class to share the different types of artwork that they have previously seen.
Investigate - Have students analyze an artwork.
- Follow the instructions in the Dear Caregiver or Educator letter on page 1.
Demonstrate - Have students demonstrate their learning by sharing their work with others.
- Ask the students to share the sketches that they made of the artwork and what they learned about the artwork with a partner.
Whole Class Distance Learning:
- Follow the Whole Class In-Person Learning instructions.
- Have students demonstrate their learning by posting their sketches along with what they learned about the artwork for others to view through Padlet or Flipgrid.
Educational Programs at the Autry are sponsored by:
AIR CONDITIONING DEPOT • AMERIPRISE FINANCIAL • PHYLLIS H. BARBATO • MOLLY AND NEAL H. BROCKMEYER • CAROLE E. BUSS • THE CAPITAL GROUP COMPANIES CHARITABLE FOUNDATION • FRANK H. COUNTNER AND SUSAN L. COUNTNER • DWIGHT STUART YOUTH FUND • EDISON INTERNATIONAL • DAVID F. EISENBERG • THE KENNETH T. AND EILEEN L. NORRIS FOUNDATION • MAX H. GLUCK FOUNDATION • CARL W. ROBERTSON AND SUSAN W. ROBERTSON • ANN C. RONUS AND ROBERT E. RONUS • BRENDA AND GARY RUTTENBERG • THE STEINMETZ FOUNDATION • THELMA PEARL HOWARD FOUNDATION • UNION BANK • U.S. BANK