Whole Class Lesson
Students will learn the how the American West led the way in the fight for women’s suffrage in the United States. Students will investigate how the women’s right to vote was won in each of the western states. Students are encouraged to research current rights for women in the United States today.
Lesson and Resources
8th Grade Class Lesson:
- Women's Suffrage in the West - 8th Grade Student Version; FILLABLE Student Response Sheet: Coming soon!
- Suffrage State Cards - 8th Grade
- Teacher's Guide - 8th Grade
11th Grade Class Lesson:
- Women’s Suffrage in the West - 11th Grade Student Version; FILLABLE Student Response Sheet: Coming soon!
- Suffrage State Cards - 11th Grade
- Teacher 's Guide - 11th Grade
Associated Education Resources
- Lesson: Civil Rights for African Americans in Early California
- Lesson: Crafting for a Cause
- Webinar: Women of the West Webinar
- Videos: Women of the West Galleries Tour
- Digital Tours: Women of the West Galleries Tour
Teaching Tips for Different Learning Environments
Whole Class Distance Learning: Teacher reads off questions and students hold up their state card to the computer screen if their assigned state has information on the suffrage state card that helps to answer questions. Students will then share detail from their state suffrage card to share with the class to futher answer the questions.
Extension Lesson Ideas: Write a thank-you letter to a woman who has made an impact on your life. It could be a member of your family, a teacher, a coach, or someone you have never met.
Educational Programs at the Autry are sponsored by:
AIR CONDITIONING DEPOT • AMERIPRISE FINANCIAL • PHYLLIS H. BARBATO • MOLLY AND NEAL H. BROCKMEYER • CAROLE E. BUSS • THE CAPITAL GROUP COMPANIES CHARITABLE FOUNDATION • FRANK H. COUNTNER AND SUSAN L. COUNTNER • DWIGHT STUART YOUTH FUND • EDISON INTERNATIONAL • DAVID F. EISENBERG • THE KENNETH T. AND EILEEN L. NORRIS FOUNDATION • MAX H. GLUCK FOUNDATION • CARL W. ROBERTSON AND SUSAN W. ROBERTSON • ANN C. RONUS AND ROBERT E. RONUS • BRENDA AND GARY RUTTENBERG • THE STEINMETZ FOUNDATION • THELMA PEARL HOWARD FOUNDATION • UNION BANK • U.S. BANK