Students will learn about women of color suffragists by watching video clips and answering questions using an interview with Award-winning historian Cathleen D. Cahill, author of Recasting the Vote: How Women of Color Transformed the Suffrage Movement, in conversation with Virginia Scharff, the Autry’s Senior Scholar and Distinguished Professor Emerita, University of New Mexico.
These video clips require a general knowledge of women’s suffrage and the 19th Amendment. Please see the Autry lesson: Women’s Suffrage in the West.
Teaching Tips for Different Learning Environments
- It is recommended that all students watch Video 1: Introduction: Six Women of Color Suffragists.
- Individual/Whole Class: Teachers can assign students different video clips to watch, have answer the questions for the video clip and then have them present to their classmates.
- Small Groups: Teachers can assign 3 students for each video (for a class of 30), have students watch the video together and answer the questions in a small group and then present to their classmates.
- Self-Paced: Students can choose 2 video clips on their own to watch, answer the questions, and share what they learned.
Below are questions for each video clip with a brief background and timeline of key events in Suffrage in the United States. It is recommended that all students watch Video 1: Introduction: Six Women of Color Suffragists.
Video 1: Introduction: Six Women of Color Suffragists
Video 2: The Unity and Disunity of Women of Color Suffragists
Video 3: Native American Women Suffragists
Video 4: The Black Suffragist Experience
Video 5: Strategies of Women of Color Suffragists
Video 6: The American West and Women of Color Suffragists
Video 7: Influences on Women of Color Suffragists
Video 8: Legacies of Women of Color Suffragists
Video 9: Class and Privilege of Women of Color Suffragists
Video 10: Lessons for today from Women of Color Suffragists
Links to Associated Education Resources
- Lesson: Women’s Suffrage in the West
- Webinar: Women of the West
- Digital Gallery Tour: Women of the West
Educational Programs at the Autry are sponsored by:
PHYLLIS H. BARBATO • MOLLY AND NEAL H. BROCKMEYER • FRANK H. COUNTNER AND SUSAN L. COUNTNER • DWIGHT STUART YOUTH FUND • EDISON INTERNATIONAL • DAVID F. EISENBERG • GEORGINA-FREDRICK CHILDREN’S FOUNDATION • THE KENNETH T. AND EILEEN L. NORRIS FOUNDATION • MAX H. GLUCK FOUNDATION • CHRISTY AND STEVE MCAVOY • ANN C. RONUS AND ROBERT E. RONUS • THE STEINMETZ FOUNDATION • VIRGINIA F. STEVENSON • UNION BANK • U.S. BANK