2023 Call for Submissions Student Visual Arts: Visions of Solidarity
Autry Classroom Curators Presents: Visions of Solidarity
Seventh Annual Student Visual Arts Exhibition
Opening Reception: Saturday, April 22, 2023, 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m
Click HERE for a printable pdf of the information below
About the Theme: Visions of Solidarity
We often hear stories about how divided we are: West Coast versus East Coast, North versus South, blue state versus red state, pro-this versus anti-that. When we look closer—at the community level—we see that solidarity abounds.
One definition of solidarity is “the mutual support within a group,” another is “a fellowship stemming from shared values and goals.” However you define it, you will find solidarity across the American West—in the past as well as the present. Solidarity has supported migrations, political movements, cultural revolutions, industries, fashion movements, and so much more.
We call on the students of the American West to share with us their visions of solidarity. What does solidarity look like to you? How do you support others through solidarity and how are you supported in return? We look forward to seeing your visions and sharing them at the Autry.
INSTRUCTIONS & SCHEDULE
- Submissions will be accepted from November 7, 2022 through March 3, 2023:
- Student application must be submitted online at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/2023StudentVisualArtsExhibition
- Completed artwork can be dropped off at the Autry’s Mary Pickford Education Center or mailed to:
Autry Museum of the American West
c/o Katherine Herman, Education Office
4700 Western Heritage Way
Los Angeles, CA 90027
- March 3, 2023 is the final deadline for both the online application submission and for the physical artwork to arrive at the Autry (not a “postmarked by” deadline).
- Juried results will be shared with the teachers/advisors by March 31, 2023. Teachers/advisors are kindly asked to share this information with their students.
- Selected artwork will be on view Saturday, April 22, 2023 through Friday, June 30, 2023. Artwork cannot be removed from the exhibit prior to Friday, June 30, 2023.
- Artwork must be picked up from the Autry no later than Friday, July 21, 2023. Any artwork left at the Autry Museum past Friday, July 21, 2023 is subject to removal.
- There is no entry fee.
STUDENT ARTWORK GUIDELINES:
- This year, we can only accept 2D WORKS OF ART:
- All works of art must be original artwork created by students in grades 6-12.
- All submitted artwork must be completed at the time of submission.
- All entries must be labeled on the back with the name of the student, the school, and the teacher. Please note the orientation of the work.
- In order to fit a standard frame, artwork must measure 5 x 7, 8 x 10, 11 x 14, 16 x 20, 20 x 30, or 22 x 32 inches. Stretched canvases will be accepted, but will not be framed by the Autry.
- All forms of two-dimensional art are accepted, including, but not limited to: watercolor, graphic prints, acrylic, mixed media, oil, pastel, drawing, photography, etc.
- Pastels, charcoal, and Cray-Pas must be fixed (or sealed) when submitted.
- By submitting their artwork, the artist assumes all risks and agrees to hold the Autry harmless against any and all losses, claims, or damages.
- All selected entries are eligible for award recognition.
Images (Click image for details)
Educational Programs at the Autry are sponsored by:
PHYLLIS H. BARBATO • MOLLY AND NEAL H. BROCKMEYER • FRANK H. COUNTNER AND SUSAN L. COUNTNER • DWIGHT STUART YOUTH FUND • EDISON INTERNATIONAL • DAVID F. EISENBERG • GEORGINA-FREDRICK CHILDREN’S FOUNDATION • THE KENNETH T. AND EILEEN L. NORRIS FOUNDATION • MAX H. GLUCK FOUNDATION • CHRISTY AND STEVE MCAVOY • ANN C. RONUS AND ROBERT E. RONUS • THE STEINMETZ FOUNDATION • VIRGINIA F. STEVENSON • UNION BANK • U.S. BANK