Autry National Center

The Rampant Colt maquette

maquette

maquette

Circa 1855;
Maker: G. Allge
Donated by Greg and Petra Martin
2007.76.1

The trademark for Colt’s Patent Fire Arms Manufacturing Company, a horse with a broken spear standing on its hind legs with its forelegs in the air, is one of the most respected and recognizable corporate symbols in American history. It was officially licensed with the United States Patent Office in 1890, but it was first used by Samuel Colt circa the early 1830s in the form of an escutcheon with four horse (colt) heads on a few prototype arms. The Rampant Colt image subsequently appeared on a variety of objects, ranging from firearms to fine china. This sculpted pattern is one of the only large representations of the Rampant Colt that survives from Colt’s lifetime. It appears to have been commissioned as a model or maquette for a much larger Rampant Colt that stood atop the dome on the main factory building at the Colt armory in Hartford, Connecticut.


  • side view

    side view
  • maker's mark

    maker's mark
  • Drawing of the Colt armory and the dome capped with the rampant colt sculpture

    courtesy of Connecticut State Library

  • The dome on the Colt armory complex in Hartford, Connecticut, capped with the rampant colt sculpture

    courtesy of Connecticut State Library
  • Samuel Colt’s porcelain tureen made circa 1855

    Autry National Center
  • The Colt coat of arms circa 1835

    Autry National Center

Author

Jeffrey Richardson
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Web Development

Gary Cannone

Electronic Cataloging and Imaging

Marilyn Kim, Vlasta Radan, Carmel France, Rebecca Menendez, David Benitez, Susan Eisenstein

Editor

Marlene Head

Special Thanks

Greg Martin, R. L. Wilson

4700 Western Heritage Way, Los Angeles, CA 90027-1462 Phone: 323.667.2000

© 2014 Autry National Center of the American West. All rights reserved.