Research Rules and Application
A view of the elephant, California illustrated lettersheet, circa 1850s Autry National Center; 95.228.1
The Libraries and Archives of the Autry are open to researchers on select weekdays, 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., holidays excluded. Please review the Rules for Researchers below and click “Submit Appointment Request” to complete the application. Find out more about our research resources when you search our library catalog and our digital database, Collections Online. Please contact the Libraries and Archives for “Researcher Access” to view additional records: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rules for Researchers
We ask all patrons to adhere to the following rules regarding care, handling, and security:
- Please return this application at least three weeks before you would like to visit the Libraries and Archives. We cannot guarantee you can be accommodated on your preferred dates. Please note that our response time varies with the number of applications and inquiries we receive. From late spring to early fall, response times may be as much as 6 weeks.
- For security purposes, we request that you check in with museum security when you arrive and wear a guest badge at all times during your visit. At Griffith Park, please check in with the information desk in the lobby. At the Southwest Museum, please enter the museum and sign in with the security guard at the desk in the lobby.
- We ask that you do not eat, drink, smoke, or talk loudly while inside the museum.
- For your convenience, locked drawers are available in the Reading Room for your personal belonging.
- Please use paper and pencil (available in the Reading Room) or a laptop computer for taking notes. No pens are allowed.
- Many materials are rare and fragile. Please be careful when handling them and do not to place any items (e.g. laptops, note cards, etc.) on top of research materials.
- It is crucial that items, both folders and individual documents, remain in the original filing order. Please bring any misfiled items to the attention of the staff, but do not re-file items on your own.
- Personal scanners are not allowed. Cameras (video, digital, still) can be used ONLY with prior approval.
- Please set cell phones and pagers on nonaudible signals.
- Photocopying and duplication services are available for research and reference purposes only. All photocopying is to be performed by Libraries and Archives staff.
- If you plan on publishing or quoting from items in our collection, you will need to obtain permission from both the Autry National Center and the copyright owner. Please cite as: Autry National Center.
- If your research, based on material consulted here, is published, we would appreciate a copy of the publication.
The Libraries and Archives of the Reading Rooms Will Be Closed:
- November 22 and 23, 2012
- December 17, 2012 –January 4, 2013
- January 21, 2013
- February 18, 2013
- May 27, 2013
- July 4, 2013
- September 2, 2013
- November 28 and 29, 2013
- December 16, 2013 – January 3, 2014
Ask a Librarian/Archivist: email@example.com