The Autry seeks well-qualified candidates for the position of part-time Museum Teacher. Museum Teachers employ a mix of formal and informal teaching methods, along with replica and hands-on objects, to create and present museum education programs for visiting school groups, children and families, and the general public.
As vital members of the Education Department, Museum Teachers design and implement grade-appropriate lesson plans based on museum themes and exhibitions which compliment classroom curriculum, support state educational standards, engage students and fulfill teacher needs. Additionally, museum teachers plan and staff family activities and programs.
Candidates should possess, or have significantly progressed towards the completion of, a Bachelor’s or Master¹s degree in history, museum studies, art, education, or other related fields. Successful candidates will be familiar with the history of California and the American West, California state content standards for history and social studies, and strategies and best practices for informal learning and museum education.
Candidates must be flexible, organized, sensitive to working with diverse audiences, and possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Demonstrated experience using the Microsoft Office suite is required. Fluency in or a working knowledge of Spanish is a plus. This position requires some weekend work.
Security Officer (On-Call)
The Autry seeks on-call Security Officers. Duties include performing security patrols by foot or vehicle, answering visitor inquiries, responding to emergencies according to defined procedures, and monitoring movement of staff, visitors, assets, equipment and materials. This position requires standing for long periods of time and wearing of a radio earpiece at normal volume setting. Security officers may be assigned to any shift or any Autry location. May be assigned outdoors and to construction posts which may include inclement weather, dust, dirt and noise. Guard card is not required.
High School Diploma or GED; experience in security, public safety, military and/or customer service; must be able to work weekends and additional hours as necessary; the ability to communicate clearly in person and via radio is necessary; the ability to stand and walk for long periods is required; reliable transportation is needed.
A custodian performs routine basic maintenance and cleaning of museum grounds (both Griffith Park and Mt. Washington campuses).
- Cleans the museum galleries, public areas, plaza and administrative office
- Assists with museum events (set up and clean up)
- Routinely dusts, vacuums, cleans windows and bathrooms, and waxes wood floors as necessary
- Ensures work is performed safely and that equipment is properly maintained
- The museum (or the Autry) reserves the right to add or change duties at any time.
- Ability to communicate with all levels of the organization and keep supervisor apprised of all personnel issues and or problems.
- Knowledge of cleaning supplies and quantities needed
- Knowledge of cleaning equipment
- Ability to communicate in English required for day shifts and preferred for evening shifts
- Transportation to work between both sites
- Custodial experience preferred
- Ability to learn to use a 2 way radio
- bility to lift up to 50 pounds unassisted
Working at the Autry:
- Requires physical mobility and stamina.
- Involves long periods of standing, walking, or sitting; frequent stooping, and bending. Extended work hours as needed.
Review of applications begins immediately and continues until position is filled.
Please mail or e-mail your résumé and letter of interest to:
Autry National Center
4700 Western Heritage Way
Los Angeles, CA 90027-1462
The Autry National Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.